Friday, November 30, 2012

DIY Christmas Ribbon Wreath

Welcome to my new blog! I still have some kinks to work out-like the horrible navigation bar and the fact I can't reply to any of your comments. So, I have probably mentioned 500 times that I am absolutely horrible when it comes to anything technology and computer related. Seriously, if it is more complex than word or email, I am totally lost. A couple months back I won a giveaway for a ecourse to help design your own blog, and I can honestly say, I was terrified! While it took a lot of work, and many trials and errors, I have come up with something I am pretty happy with. A little more work, and I will be back in business. Thanks to Desirae from Somerfrugal Design for making this process so easy!

 
I am going to pause from my 'Thanksliving' series, to do a little crafting. No, I am so not a craft blogger-I don't have the time or money to do all those super fun things, but with my week off school, I wanted to do something festive. I have had this urge for the past couple weeks to make a wreath, and I kept trying to talk myself out of it. Really, I live in a fairly sketchy apartment complex (yes, we are counting the days till we can get out of there), and there is not a chance in the world I could hang it on the outside of my door without it being stolen or vandalized. Was it completely practical to make a wreath-no! Am I so unbelievably excited that I did-YES! And, to top it off., this was not a pintrest find! WOOHOO!

So here was my inspiration:

From: Kristen's Creations
Clearly, I wasn't able to make this exact wreath. I got to Hobby Lobby and they didn't have red mesh...DUH! This close to Christmas, who was I kidding?! So, I had to get a little creative and come up with my own design. Thank God for 50% off sales at Hobby Lobby!!!!
SUPPLIES:
-Greenery wreath (choose size according to the door)
-2 base wired ribbons (I chose a red and a gold)
-2 wired printed ribbons
-Ornaments
-Picks (optional, I bought some but decided against them)
-Ornament/Letter/Design (again optional but way cute!)
-Wire and wire cutters
-Hot glue (I wired everything on, but this is a good option also)


My base ribbons. The red is a thicker ribbon to provide the bulk of the weight, while the gold had some design and glitter for a little extra bang!


Again, both ribbons are wired so they are easy to shape. I chose some fun ribbons to make my wreath festive and funky!


I debated on the size of ornaments, and am so glad I went with small ones. They looked like little berries on the wreath. I liked that the box came with a lot of ornaments so I could do clusters of 3. An odd number is always more pleasing to the eye :)


The picks were way cute, but I decided were overall distracting to what I had going on in my wreath. Choose what works best for yours-but mine are being returned today.


I intentionally did not take pictures step-by-step because I wanted a wreath to be your personal creation. I know when I see things that are completely step-by-step, I follow them completely and am not able to get creative.

But here are the steps I took:
1. I started with my red, wider base ribbon. I used the wire to secure it to the wreath, and wrapped it all the way around. Once I was happy with the spacing, I secured each loop with wire.
2. I did the same with the gold, spacing the gold in between the red. Play with this and decide if you want wider or thinner loops. I liked having the red and gold spaced very closely together.
3. I began with the white polka dot ribbon and cut 5 small strips. I used wire to create a loop off the wreath, and then wired that loop onto the wreath. Again, play with the spacing and number of loops you want.
4. I did the same with the green/red ribbon. I choose to do more of these, but smaller loops.
5. Next, I pulled out all of my ornaments and clustered them into groups of three. I wired them together as a cluster off the wreath first, and then wired them onto the wreath.
6. This is where any picks you choose to use would be added. Again, I did not use mine. Remember, you want an odd number.
7. Finally, I wired the ornament into the wreath using the hanger of the ornament. You could also use hot glue to secure the ornament, just be sure you don't glue on a material that will melt.

Seriously, that's it!!

 
 
 
So, by no means am I an expert, but feel free to ask questions on any part of the process! I would also love if you shared a wreath you have made for Christmas!

38 comments:

  1. new follower! :) Love the wreath! My hubby has been wanting one for our front door, and I should totally try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan - Hopped over from somewhere and love your wreath! I don't consider myself very crafty and am always jealous when I see people make such beautiful things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog header. That Wreath is amazing!! You make it look so easy. I'm just not so crafty, but I love it!

    P.S. Following from the Chubby Cheeks Hop! Would love for you stop by and check my blog out sometime. Have a great weekend.

    Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blog Megan!! You did a great job. :)

    Your wreath looks adorable!! My friend and I are off to Hobby Lobby today to buy items to make wreaths...pinterest - and now Megan - inspired, of course!!

    Much love to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wreath! And I think I prefer your version! Thanks for stopping by the blog hop! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your blog! And I seriously like your wreath better than the one you got your inspiration from. So cute! The ribbons worked so well together. :)

    Glad to be your new follower from the Bloggers for Christmas link-up. Thanks for joining and I hope we'll see you next Friday!

    Merry Christmas,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that wreath! Great job! :) Your new blog is looking great! I too have done mine all on my own and that was just from googling things and trying to figure it out! I had to do everything at least ten times haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cute! and you could totally be a craft blogger if you wanted to, you certainly have the framework for doing so :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable - thanks for the tips lady!

    thenakedmanual.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up with us today!!! ;)
    And I love your new wreath!

    http://lifeoflt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so pretty! I love your ribbon wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is gorgeous! I need to make a wreath so bad and that looks so simple! Visiting from Aloha Blog Hop! I'm over at www.theredheadedprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute wreath!! New follower here, I love the fact that you are putting Godly principles first in your marriage.

    Best of luck with your new blog! It looks great though you arent "technically inclined" ;) It still looks wonderful and that you have put a lot of effor into it! Love! Come visit soon, I love to make new blogger friends :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the decorations!!

    Hi there!! I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for linking up with the Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! Spread the word, share the blog code on your blog!! Who knows, you could end up being the featured blog next week!!

    Aloha Friday Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's gorgeous! VERY nice. Tickled you are making progress with your blog...one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that wreath looks lovely for not being a DIY blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your wreath is beautiful and I think that you shouldn't considered yourself as not crafty because youre not a "diy blogger" - I am a DIY blogger and sometimes my stuff just looks plain dreadful! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is gorgeous! I'd love it if you'd share this at my linky party! http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous wreath! I love the ribbon and cute little green ornaments.

    T'onna
    Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Megan- I think you are totally crafty! Your wreath is beautiful and I think will copy it!

    Your newest followers,
    Jeannie and Linda at The French Hen's Nest

    Please visit us and maybe you will join us too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your wreath looks BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad to be your newest follower, I love your blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love ribbon. Seriously, it just makes me happy... I have an uncontrollable need to buy it every time I see a cute spool of ribbon I have to make it mine ;) So I am sure I have plenty around to make something as cute as this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous wreath!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did an amazing job - so festive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful wreath! You did a great job with it. I spend VERY little money on the art that I make. It doesn't have to cost much of anything really to craft til your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty, Megan! I was just over at my mom's today helping her with a wreath!
    Thanks so much for linking up last week at The Humble Brag!!
    The Silhouette Cameo giveaway is still going strong and you can get MORE ENTRIES by signing up for link party email reminders, sharing the giveaway on FB with your readers, and linking up again. Hope to see you there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a pretty wreath!! I'm visiting for the 1st time. I hope you come link to my parties on Tuesdays- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2012/12/link-party.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an elegant wreath. So pretty. I'm visiting from Truly Lovely.
    http://www.laurieslittlebitsofcreativity.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very pretty, sadly my Christmas wreath is really lacking this year...yours is really beautiful.

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    We love having you link up each week.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love this idea! And those colors are something I would pick!

    www.littlegems3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The blog looks great! I love the wreath :)

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured :)

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stopping by from Raising Imperfection, love what you have done to your blog. Keep up the good work, it looks great!
    www.tiffanigoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Visiting from Raising Imperfection, and I really like the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a pretty wreath - so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so pretty! I love all the awesome ribbon! I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made my own wreath this year too, but it's not nearly as nice as yours! I would like to do more. Maybe next year?

    Stopping by from 100lbcountdown.com from Raising Imperfection ~ April

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this wreath!!!!! Thanks for the instructions. Planning to revamp my decorations this year and this is definitely being added. Have a blessed Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is such a very crafty Christmas wreath ideas! I love how the final result came out, so beautiful and elegant. I'd be very happy to feature this in my blog as well. Regards!

    ReplyDelete